University of Wisconsin–Madison

Law Library Opened its Doors

Law Library Reading Room in 1914

Prior to the opening of UW Law’s first permanent Law Library in 1893–the same year the first Law Building opened on Bascom Hill–many had complained about the inadequacy of the school’s library collection and services. In fact, when the Board of Regents created the UW’s College of Law in 1868, no money had been appropriated for books.

Go Back